Everybody is talking about wellness, but just how does a small company practice good-health practices?
Todd McGuire, incentaHEALTH’s chief technology officer, offers these low-cost, high-value suggestions:
- Trade soda for sparkling water in the fridge or vending machine.
- Make blueberry, Greek yogurt and granola parfaits for the next company birthday celebration instead of the usual cake. The parfaits taste just as sweet and have fewer calories and more muscle-building protein.
- Ask the company’s vending-machine supplier to provide a healthful-option machine with no candy or junk food.
- Put a sign by a stairwell that reads “Free exercise equipment,” with an arrow pointing to the stairwell door.
- Subsidize the purchase of a healthful-activity tracker such as the FitBit (FitBit.com) for employees.
- Hold a contest: Everyone who gets to 70,000 steps in a week (using the FitBit for measurement) gets a free water bottle.
- Schedule a “bike-to-work” day and give every participant a company water bottle.
- Offer employees daily coaching on how to eat better and exercise more.
Also, McGuire suggests, collect free resources online or hire a wellness company such as incentaHEALTH.com to do it.
IncentaHEALTH is an employee wellness program emphasizing lifestyle changes that lead to lifelong healthy weight.